One of the most inventive and influential bands in the history of popular music will make a spectacular debut at Potters Resort this September, it has just been announced.
10cc helped rule the pop world in the 1970s alongside the likes of David Bowie, Queen, Elton John and Rod Stewart. The band were a creative powerhouse in a highly innovative era, and stood out among the crowd thanks to a rich discography that achieved commercial, critical and creative success in equal measure.
Their work is much more recognisable than you might imagine, and it's woven into modern culture thanks to some of the band's biggest hits being included on recent film soundtracks, with Dreadlock Holiday featuring in The Social Network, and I’m Not In Love appearing in both Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, and superhero blockbuster Guardians of the Galaxy.
The band's 1970s legacy is today carried by founding member and songwriting legend Graham Gouldman, and he now leads a superbly talented line-up who expertly create 10cc's unmistakably original sounds, including their three UK number 1s - Rubber Bullets, I’m Not In Love and Dreadlock Holiday.
Gouldman attributes 10cc’s lasting appeal to the quality and individuality of the band’s songs. "They don’t seem to date," he says. "They are original. We never followed any trend we simply wrote for our own pleasure. The fact that the songs are being played as often today as they ever were shows how true that is."
One thing is for sure - listening to 10cc's music online or on CD is not only marvellous but inspires a satisfying sense of nostalgia, and that fantastic sensation of getting lost in the music will increase beyond measure when it's performed LIVE in the intimate Atlas Theatre at Potters on Sunday 17th September 2017.
Here’s some facts on 10cc and their music
- 10cc formed in 1972 with the teaming up of talented all-round musicians Graham Gouldman, Eric Stewart, Lol Creme and Kevin Godley
- The decision to form the band was made during a meal in a Chinese restaurant
- 10cc have sold more than 30 million albums worldwide
- From 1974 to 1997, six 10cc albums went Gold in UK sales, while another three went Platinum
- 10cc have enjoyed number 1 singles in the UK, Ireland, Canada, Belgium, the Netherlands and New Zealand
- 10cc achieved a total of 11 Top 10 hits in the UK singles chart from 1972 to 1978, including six in a row from 1975 to 1977
- 10cc's current line-up of Graham Gouldman, long-time band collaborators Paul Burgess and Rick Fenn, and Mike Stevens and Mick Wilson have been playing and touring together since 1999
- Graham Gouldman was indcuted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2014, alongside previous inductees including Noel Coward, Burt Bacharach, Neil Sedaka, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Leonard Cohen, Elton John and Sting
- Guns N’Roses lead singer Axl Rose lists I’m Not In Love as one of his favourite songs of all time
- YouTube videos of I’m Not In Love (performed by both original and current line-ups) have total views in excess of 30 million