Tom Parker is a musician, best known as a member of popular band The Wanted. He is now starring in the touring show of Grease The Musical and we caught up with him for a chat on his recent Potters break…
Tom, how are you?
I’m really good thanks. I had some time off over Easter from touring with Grease The Musical, so it has been nice spending time with the family.
How is Grease going?
I’m loving it. I’ve watched the film countless times and it really is a dream to play the role of Danny Zuko. It is lovely touring it around the country and we’re continuing to tour it throughout the year. It has had a great reaction so far.
How long have you been coming to Potters?
Around three years and my fiancé Kelsey for around four. Kelsey’s family have been coming to Potters for around seven years and we all have such a great time at Potters.
What do you like to do on your Potters break?
I like to try and take part in lots of activities. The family can get competitive, so we played eight games of badminton, but I did it barefoot as I had my flip flops on, which meant I couldn’t move about like I wanted. I only lost a game! Lots more too like Segways and I really do love playing bowls too!
How do you rate the Potters Theatre Company shows?
The shows are amazing. It now feels funny watching a show as part of the audience after being in Grease, but every year we come here the shows get better and better. A Night at the Movies show was superb and the Company are really talented.
What is your career highlight?
Probably having a tour of the White House with Michelle Obama was a real stand out and pinch myself moment. They even have a bowling alley in the basement!
Are you still in touch with The Wanted boys?
Yes, we still see each other and some of the lads have already been to see me in Grease.
Do you still play the guitar?
Yes, it is such a passion of mine and I absolutely love playing it when I can. I even get to play some guitar in Grease.
Any unfulfilled ambitions?
Well Kelsey and I are finally getting married next year, and have now set a date. Then I’d really love a baby.
What do you think that people would be surprised to know about you?
Probably that I love playing bowls. I watched some of it on BBC TV in January when Potters hosted the Just World Indoor Bowls Championships, and I was like I go there! I just really enjoy the sport.
Thanks Tom! Here’s some facts on Tom and The Wanted…
- The Wanted boy band consists of Tom Parker, Max George, Jay McGuinness, Siva Kaneswaren and Nathan Sykes
- The Wanted’s debut single, All Time Low, hit the No.1 spot in the UK singles chart and their second number one was Glad You Came. Other big hits include Chasing the Sun and Heart Vacancy
- Before The Wanted, Tom joined a tribute band performing songs of Take That. Take That II toured Northern England
- Tom learned to play the guitar aged 16 after trying out his older brother’s
- He is an avid DJ and collaborated with Richard Rawson on a track called Fireflies, which was released in August 2014
- Tom has taken part in the UK version of Celebrity Masterchef, making it to the semi-finals
- In 2016 Tom replaced Tina Hobley on The Jump and he ended up finishing in third place.