This Summer Potters Theatre Company will be united as One as they turn their attention to the glittering world of musical theatre in a brand new show, Broadway and Beyond.
With the continuing popularity of stage musicals On Broadway and in London’s West End, our amazingly talented Creative Producer/Director, Nicky Hathway, has drawn from her Memory popular classic musicals, as well as taken inspiration from newer ones, which are wowing audiences and already gaining legendary status. So, get ready to leave behind the 9 to 5 and get immersed in the theatre experience with this amazing new show, which will also include tributes to some of the most successful movie musicals of all time.
The cast will be performing some of the best tunes from over a dozen musicals, so get ready to Leave Your Hat On, see some Cabaret and be left Beggin’ for an encore!
Broadway and Beyond will be the first musicals themed show to take advantage of the spectacular Atlas Theatre LED wall, so expect a feast for the eyes as well as the ears, and the usual comedy chaos from your favourite characters who bring the laughs to an incredible mix of stunning vocals, costumes and choreography. You may even see a colourful dreamcoat!
We caught up with Nicky (Hathway) to find out about the show and her inspiration for it: “Guests have been asking for us to do a musical themed show again and now felt like a good time, thanks to the huge popularity of recent movie musicals and new Broadway shows. Choosing what songs make the final list takes a huge amount of time, because we want to include new material we have never done before, as well as include some of the musicals that people would be disappointed not to hear, and it all has to work together.
“There are almost 30 songs in Broadway and Beyond, and we have some of the best choreographers, an amazing vocal arranger, prop designers and costume designers working tirelessly to put on a spectacle, as well as our incredible cast of singers and dancers. The Potters Tech Crew are also hugely involved designing lights and sound, as well as ensuring our LED wall is used to its maximum potential! So many people are involved in putting a show like this together and we are looking forward to everyone seeing it performed this summer. Plus, we have two new feel-good productions after the main show! Battle of the Boy Bands and Girl Power celebrate the biggest hits from boy bands and girl groups in a party playlist that will get you on the dance floor!”
Love musicals? We’ve compiled a list of some of the most popular musicals in the West End and Broadway this year, including new ones not to be missed…
- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat – 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's hit musical. Told entirely through song with the help of the Narrator, the show follows the story of Jacob’s favourite son Joseph and his 11 brothers.
- Les Misérables - Cameron Mackintosh’s legendary production has been seen by more than 70 million people in 44 countries and in 22 languages around the globe. Classic hits from the show include I Dreamed a Dream, Stars, Master of the House, On My Own and One Day More.
- Beautiful – The Carole King Musical - Long before she was Carole King, the chart-topping music legend was an ordinary girl with an extraordinary talent. The musical tells the story of her rise to stardom and celebrates her classics such as You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman, Take Good Care of my Baby, Up on the Roof and Locomotion.
- The Phantom of the Opera - Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical tells the tale of a shadowy character who attempts to make his protégé the leading lady of the Paris Opera. With a mesmerising score and breathtaking special effects, this long-running show is one of the must-see musicals in London.
- Waitress – a hit musical comedy that has transferred from Broadway to the West End, the show is based on the motion picture of the same name. Jenna, a waitress and expert pie-maker dreams of a way out of her small town and rocky marriage. Pouring her heart into her pies, she crafts desserts that mirror her topsy-turvy life. When a baking contest in a nearby county — and a satisfying run-in with someone new — show Jenna a chance at a fresh start, she must find the courage to seize it.
- 9 to 5 the Musical - Inspired by the hit film and brought to you by Dolly Parton, this hilarious new West End production is about teaming up, standing up and taking care of business! It tells the story of Doralee, Violet and Judy - three workmates pushed to boiling point by their sexist and egotistical boss.
- Only Fools and Horses - The landmark, record-breaking television series Only Fools and Horses, written by the late, great John Sullivan becomes a brand-new, home-grown British Musical spectacular. Lovely Jubbly! The story will revolve around Del Boy looking for love, Rodney preparing for his marriage to Cassandra, and Grandad taking stock on his life.
- Wicked – Wicked tells the untold story of the Witches of Oz and how one came to be called ‘good’ and the other ‘wicked’. This show has won countless awards and tells the incredible untold story of an unlikely but profound friendship between two young women.
You’ll have to wait and see if any songs from these shows have made it into Broadway and Beyond!
Broadway and Beyond runs on Summer breaks from Monday 15th July 2019 and on selected breaks throughout the year.